Day 31 – Contending in Prayer
Scriptures to Meditate On and Pray Through –
- I urge you, brothers and sisters, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me. – Romans 15:30
- I want you to know how hard I am contending for you and for those at Laodicea, and for all who have not met me personally. – Colossians 2:1
- 13 The [demonic] principality of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days, but Michael, one of the chief [angelic] princes, came to help me, for I was stranded there with the kings of Persia, and he came to make you understand what is to happen to your people in the latter days… 20 Then [Michael] said, “Do you know why I have come to you? But now I will return to fight against the prince of Persia; and when I go out, behold, the prince of Greece will come. 21 But I will tell you what is inscribed in the book of truth: there is none who contends by my side against these except Michael, your prince. – Daniel 10:13, 20-21
- I AM the vine, you are the branches. – John 15:5
- I have set for you an example that you are to do as I have done for you. – John 13:15
How to Pray: Contending with the Spirit against the Enemy of our Souls –
Paul asks those he has discipled to join him in his trials by praying for him. All the powers of evil seek to hinder us in prayer. Prayer often is a conflict with opposing forces. We are praying to God, but the enemy It requires the whole heart and all our strength. May God give us the grace to persevere and thrive in prayer for others until we prevail and may we all be blessed with many who pray also for us. As branches we are to be so like the Vine, so entirely identified with Him, that all may see that we have the same nature, and life, and spirit. When we pray for the Spirit, let us not only think of a Spirit of power but the very disposition and attitude of Christ Jesus. Let us pray in an empathetic disposition with an attitude of compassion. Ask and expect nothing less. Ask it for yourself, and all God’s children. This is to be the deepest cry of our hearts.
What to Pray: For Those who are Persecuted and Oppressed –
As we continue to pray for our brothers and sisters who are persecuted, who are being demoralized, threatened, oppressed and discriminated against–whether our brothers and sisters of color in this country or those who are a part of another culture and ethnic group abroad–let us join them in their struggle. We are all a part of one Vine, although we are many and diverse branches. Let us continue to pray for those that do not know God. The oppressors and oppressed the same. Remember our Jesus who has all authority in the heavens and on earth, humbled Himself, taking on the form of the oppressed so that he could take on the sins of the oppressor and oppressed alike setting us free by His blood.
Add Your Own Prayer Requests and Receive God’s Answers